top of page


Wedding at The CLiffs of Moher

Musical inspiration! - Listen to other Couples Ceremony Playlist from previous weddings

Pat Clarke-Browne

What next?

This is the most common question I get asked by couples who just don't know where to start the process.
If it's a legal ceremony you want then the following is the normal sequence of things to start your planning.
Choose a Date - Think about what day of the week works for your plans, most venues weekend dates are booked out first so it's never too soon to decide the date for your big day. Currently lots of weddings are happening on any day of the week so you are not tied to the traditional Fri or Sat dates.
Pick your venue - Getting the venue you want is the first big hurdle for most couples. As a Legal Solemniser I can sign your Marriage Registration Book ( The Green Folder ) for you on the Day of your Wedding but you need to have completed the steps below to get things moving with the HSE on the Legal side.
What do I need to have for the HSE?
Before you start the Process with the HSE you will need some details ready - Your Date, venue, Solemniser and Witnesses details for starters.
It can be difficult to get an appointment depending on where you are located, Dublin is quite busy for example, so you may need to go outside your county to find a date for your meeting that's available (Always phone the Office as they may be able to fit you in) - Click [Here] to get the details for the offices countrywide
Remember you need to give a minimum of 3 months notification (but the sooner you start the better you can start up to 1 year before your date) unless in exceptional circumstances where you can get an exemption from the Court Clerk's Office. If you are abroad you can start the process by email by calling the office and they will send on the forms but you will need to appear in person at least 5 Days before your Ceremony date so allow for that in travel plans.
                                 Book your HSE appointment Online
Here is the HSE Checklist.

What to bring to the notification appointment
Bring a valid photo ID and a photocopy of the photo page of one of the following:
refugee card/asylum card issued by the Department of Justice and Equality
national identity card from an EU country that accepts national identity cards as a travel document

You will also need:
the original and photocopy of your birth certificates
proof of address - original and photocopy dated within last 3 months
your PPS numbers
If your documents are not in English or Irish you must provide translations.
Ceremony details
You need to provide the following information about your ceremony:
the type of ceremony (civil, religious or secular) - (Secular for me)
name and address of the proposed venue
name of registered Solemniser

Check your Solemniser is on the list! (I am down near the end of the file with the other Humanist Association Celebrants currently 4 pages from the End) -
[Check Here]

name and date of birth of both witnesses aged 18 or older
You can change the Witness on the day of the ceremony if needed there is a space on page two for amendments.

If you are divorced
You will need an original or certified copy, and photocopy, of your divorce decree. If there is a stay order on the divorce decree, bring this too.
Contact the civil registration service for advice if you divorced in another country.
Widow, widower or surviving civil partner
If you are a widow or widower, you will need the original and photocopy of any:
civil marriage certificates
civil death certificate of the spouse or civil partner who has died
If you are a surviving civil partner you will need the:
original and photocopy of any civil partnership certificates
original and photocopy of any civil death certificate of late civil partners
In a civil partnership
If you are in a civil partnership registered in the Irish state, contact a civil registration service if you want to get married.
If you are in a civil partnership registered in the Irish state, bring the original and a photocopy of the civil partnership certificate.
Previous civil partnership
If you have a civil partnership dissolution, you will need the final decree of dissolution.
If you have a civil annulment
You will need the:
original and photocopy of the civil annulment court order
court letter and photocopy confirming that an appeal has not been lodged against the nullity order

Not a citizen of Ireland or an EU member state
If either of you is not a citizen of Ireland or an EU member state, you will need to confirm your immigration status.
Bring one of the following:
Original letter from the Department of Justice and Equality confirming your immigration status
refuge or asylum card from the Department of Justice and Equality
immigration visa or stamp or Irish residency permit
passport - if you are a UK citizen
You may need to attend an interview and the marriage appointment.
The interview is held in English or Irish. You must provide an interpreter if you want to speak another language at the interview.
You will also need to do this at the ceremony.
Interpreters must be from an independent verifiable translation or interpretation service.

Recent Wedding Blog Posts

bottom of page